[X2Go-Dev] running X2Go Server in userspace (was: x2go with git submodules)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Thu Nov 8 22:52:17 CET 2012

Hi all,

(thread renamed, please let us move over to thread subjects that
describe what the thread is about...)

On Do 08 Nov 2012 16:36:40 CET Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

>>> That's at least a clear statement. Thanks.
>>> However, might this change in a near future?
>>
>> It is not a use case here, so I won't work on it.
>
> Let me ask you about the big picture.
>
> AFAIU, x2goclient connects via ssh to the server with and basically logs
> into the server with the user account that is given to x2goclient.
>
> Then everything is done on behalf of this user.
>
> But... I've seen a new x2gouser account on the server. Why do you need this?

...answered by Morty...

> Furthermore, are there (and I'm pretty sure there are) any processes
> that must be run as root or x2gouser after installation? If yes, which
> are they and do you see a reason which prevents these processes from
> being run as the user that comes from x2goclient?

There is a cleanup daemon running in the background that updates the
X2Go session database in case of certain sorts of failures (e.g. SSH
connection line disruptions, etc.). This daemon runs as root (instead
of having one cleanup process per user). This cleanup script
(/usr/sbin/x2gocleansessions) can be moved into user space, of course.

> Are there any real needs for a root user in x2go's server setup or does
> this just happen by convenience for the developers?

Also for multi-node printing (where X2Go Server != CUPS server) we use
some sudo and su - tricks. (the CUPS virtual X2Go printer runs as
priviledged root user because it has to do a chown <user> on incoming
print jobs). Please study x2goserver-printing and cups-x2go for
further insights on this.

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31