[X2Go-Dev] x2go with git submodules

Ralf Hemmecke hemmecke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 13:48:10 CET 2012

>  1. use Debian or Ubuntu (we all work with Debian primarily)

I'm already on that track.

>  2. configure APT: http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/download:start

I can do this on my laptop.

>  3. install x2goserver-xsession on your server (Debian/Ubuntu)

Stop. I don't have root access. :-( I only have a normal user account on
that machine.

>  4. instal x2goclient or pyhoca-gui on your client

I could do that on my laptop, but without a server it doesn't make sense.

>  5. configure a session profile (I am sure you will find out about the
> fields)

I don't come up to that point, since I don't have a server.

>  6. Start your first session

It's clear, that since I cannot execute (3), I don't come to this point.

The only thing I could do, would be to setup a set of virtual machines
locally on my laptop. But I'm to lazy to do this, since I'd have to
build a local network between the VMs and it's actually useless since
all is on my laptop.

> What other questions do you have? If possible, I will point you to
> solutions.

How do I get over step 3?

> As X2Go ships a complete X-Server source tree (nx-libs.git for
> x2goagent) it is indeed not very trivial. Maybe you have to talk to your
> IT provider to install you the basic X2Go packages.

Sorry, I actually even don't want the sysadmins of that server get
involve. Why should this be necessary. If I am not completely wrong, X
does not need to run as root.

> Sorry about the non-user installation,

That's at least a clear statement. Thanks.
However, might this change in a near future?

Ralf