[X2Go-Dev] PulseAudio

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Wed May 30 08:32:37 CEST 2012

* On 29.05.2012 03:07 PM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> short notice: your former patches have all been accepted and are pending Git
> inclusion. Thanks for doing all that great work!!!

Thanks.

> A better test is: run the pavucontrol tool within the X2Go session and test if
> the PA process on the MAC survives all the PA-specific mixer and volume meter
> API calls.

WORKSFORME... it seems to work fine on my Debian Unstable based remote server.
I'll guess I'll have Stefan test on (older) Ubuntu boxes and stuff, if he's up to.

> With the old Windows version (and also old PA versions on Linux), this has
> often been an issue.

I do have some other issues, though. Especially when starting a flash video in
Iceweasel, sound is choppy, distorted, (< buffer underruns?) the video will halt
a few seconds in-play, sound will roll on for like 20 seconds, then stop, video
catch up fast and once the video has reached the sound position, both video and
sound playback will pick up again, but sound and picture will be desynchronized
as the sound makes a 20 seconds jump into the "future".

This is a very odd behavior, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

On the other hand, playing some MP3 file via mplayer (w/o any other application
running) works flawlessly.

I have noticed problems when running pavucontrol and mplayer both at the same
time, though.

But I figure both the pavucontrol+mplayer and flash video problems are due to
the remote ADSL connection. I see a peak incoming traffic of about 250KB/s,
hardly enough for both sound and video. Another circumstance that may well
confirm this theory is that lowering the image quality (i.e., set to JPEG
compression with 64 colors) has a positive effect on the sound output.

I'd really be interested to see tests on LAN, but unfortunately my only other
box has no PA installed and I don't want to pollute the system with it. However,
I guess that Stefan could come in here handy.

The code is not yet ready and I still have to tackle the esound emulation stuff,
but I'd be happy to dump a test build here. Is anyone interested? Let me know.

Best regards,

Mihai