[X2Go-Dev] X2Go-Future

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon May 21 20:52:22 CEST 2012

On Monday 21 May 2012 07:53:53 John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 14:37 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > > Sadly the expirience suffered when we updated the nx-
> > > libs from 3.4 to 3.5: On WAN-connections its still usable but on LAN
> > > X2Go
> > > looses in speed and latency and responsiveness against VNC. Which my co-
> > > workers really hate.
> >
> > Then there must be something wrong with your setup. X2Go works on UMTS
> > (even GPRS) networks as well as on local area network. Not sure what
> > you are experiencing, but I cannot confirm what you report.

As I said, with my very poor internet-connection it is much better then VNC to
log into work. But on lan it feels slower. I did measure it with some X-tests
and the results where the same for local, xdmcp and x2go.

> I cannot confirm that it is slower than VNC on a LAN but I can confirm
> that I have seen a dramatic increase in latency since the move to
> libssh.

When users "feel" that something is slow, its not always the throughput. Your
explaination actually makes much more sense. It probably is the latency. That
would also explain why it doesn't improve when I change compression levels.

> It still really feels like Nagle is enabled.  I've not 100%
> ruled out that it is not something in my environment like packet loss on
> our connections but it doesn't feel like it.  It feels exactly like
> packet coalescing as it is just the last bit of input that is badly
> delay - badly as in a second or so so  very noticeable with serious
> production impact as it leads to dangerous mistakes while editing
> documents.  I wonder if libssh does not have the ability to disable it.

So what to do with that? Is there a way to disable ssh for local lan
connections?

Have fun,

Arnold