[X2Go-Dev] [nx-libs] Reason for using quilt

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sun May 20 14:21:23 CEST 2012

Hi Mihai,

On Sa 19 Mai 2012 19:51:07 CEST Mihai Moldovan wrote:

> I'm wondering why you guys are using quilt for managing patches to
> the nx-libs repository.

Currently, we do not consider us as upstream for NX, only as a
redistributor. So, keeping track of NX upstream is one reason for
combining git+quilt.

> Wouldn't it be easier to actually use multiple branches for that purpose?

We had that before (for x2goagent and libxcomp* when they were still
separate code trees) and it was very difficult to keep track of _our_
changes and _NoMachine_ changes. With quilt this is now very very easy.

We also had the case that many patches needed an update after
NoMachine bumped an NX upstream release. So what happens then is that
you have NoMachine upstream, then commit X2Go changes to your branch,
merge from upstream again and then patch your own patches if a
follow-up upstream release breaks your changes. It becomes very hard
then to keep track of your changes, esp. with so many patches as we
currently have for NX. Note that they also stack on top of each other...

The current approach is the easiest and the cleanest approach we have
ever had for maintaining NX / X2Go agent. But that's my personal view
only.

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B