[X2Go-Dev] X2Go-Future

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat May 19 21:55:28 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I am having some doubts about the future of X2Go and seeking for answers.
I saw mails mentioning nx3.6 which seems a bit strange to me given that the
next version of nomachine's nx is 4.0. And that is what makes me wonder about
the future of x2go: The main parts of x2go (nx-agent and assorted low-level
libraries) seem to go closed-source, at least as far as I can tell from their
licensing documents. So what happens to X2Go?

I love the work you guys did and do. Resuming sessions while changing desktop-
geometry is real fun. Having responsive desktops over WAN where vnc just
doesn't work, is real fun. Using locally attached usb-stick on the remote
server is real fun. Which made me "force" my colleages switch from our old
VNC-based setup to X2Go. Sadly the expirience suffered when we updated the nx-
libs from 3.4 to 3.5: On WAN-connections its still usable but on LAN X2Go
looses in speed and latency and responsiveness against VNC. Which my co-
workers really hate.
My hope was that next nx-libs might fix this. And they probably will, but not
for us when there is a price-tag associated with it.
So how to go on in our case? What is your future planning for X2Go? Do you
have plans (and knowledge and manpower) to further develop the nx-libs on the
open-source base? Do you have a promise from nomachine that the libs will go
open-source again? Do you have plans to use a different x-protocol like vnc
from tigervnc or turbovnc? (Combining the speed of tigervnc and the features
of sessions and apps and storage-forwarding of x2go seems like a good idea to
me currently.)

Thanks for your answers!

Have a nice weekend,

Arnold