[X2Go-Dev] Broken glyphs and icons after suspending a session

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat May 12 14:45:40 CEST 2012

Hi Jim, hi Holger,

On Sa 12 Mai 2012 03:22:24 CEST Jim Burnes wrote:

>> Hello x2go dev team,
>>
>> as I was looking for an alternative on NX nomachine, because it was
>> broken with the last Cairo 1.12 update, I found your x2go solution,
>> which is great.
>>
>> So as it bases on the same libraries than the original nomachine, you
>> had the same issues - with rendering to undrawable objects, the whole
>> nxagent crashes because of SEGV.
>>
>> With the patch of Jan (thanks to) you committed to the master branch
>> today, I compiled another nxagent. Actually it worked fine, but after
>> suspending and reconnecting to a session, some graphical objects get
>> broken...
>>
>> All characters/fonts that has been rendered on the screen prior the
>> suspension, are gone. (See Screenshots the link below).
>> Creating new text by starting applications is ok, as long as the
>> characters has not been rendered in the session before.
>>
>> I thought it might be problem with a kind of glyph cache of the X
>> session (ubuntu/x86 x2goclient). But I found one case, where
>> additionally to the text, all icons are gone also, which was with an
>> debian/x64 x2goclient... (Difference can be seen on screenshots)
>>
>> Might it have to do something with the patch from today, that could
>> filter out to much rendering? Or is this issue known from somewhere else?
>>
>> Here are some screenshots: http://www.computerfreak.de/sonic/x2shots/
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Holger

> If the glyph breakage is because of my patch it's probably because the
> patch is rather non-selective.  If nxagent's render code tries to reference
> a null pointer I prevent it from doing that.
>
> I'm not specifically aware how that might break your glyphs, but if it does
> I suspect it's because my code is preventing remote synchronization of the
> rendered object.  Look at all of the conditionals in the patch that perform
> a sync operation if true.
>
> I wonder if someone like Keith Packard could help.  Perhaps if we point the
> nomachine guys at our patch they might suggest a cleaner fix.
>
> ...or it might be completely unrelated to your problem.  :-)

> On May 11, 2012 4:51 PM, "Holger Hahn" <x2go-dev at computerfreak.de> wrote:

The phenomenon described by Holger did not exist before the patch.
However, the patch currently still is an improvement when X2Go is
installed on Debian wheezy or sid.

@Jim-1: it seems like you currently have the most expertise on your
own patch. Possibly you find some more time to look at it. I cannot
yet confirm the suspend-resume-phenomenon described by Holger, but the
screenshots are self-explaining.

@All: whoever has some ressources during the next week, it would be
good to take a look at Jim's patch.

@Jim-2: I am in contact with NoMachine and they are aware of our
comprehensive patch series we apply on top of NX upstream. That result
we call NX (redistributed) and we are also upstream for the Debian
src:package nx-libs-lite. I will additionaly send an eMail to the
NoMachine developer list.

@Jim-3: are you in direct contact with Keith Packard? If so, please
contact him. We are (at the end) searching for a team of people who
are willing to port NX to Xorg7 and make it a constant component of
Xorg, but that's still more a dream than something in near reality...+

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B