[X2Go-Dev] Feedback: Published Applications

Oleksandr Shneyder oleksandr.shneyder at obviously-nice.de
Fri Mar 9 09:23:23 CET 2012

Am 09.03.2012 09:11, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
> Hi Alex,
>
> thanks for your feedback...
>
> On Fr 09 Mär 2012 08:44:12 CET Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:
>
>> Am 08.03.2012 18:34, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>>> [...]
>
>> BTW - this issues are not related to "Published Applications" feature, I
>> think it is not correct to discuss them in topic with such subject.
>
> Absolutely, only when testing the new features it really confused me as
> I now had buttons that I did not know the functionality of and had to
> select blindly.

:) I'll take care about it.

>> the icons are transferred from the server, certainly. You can find a
>> directory list, where X2Go server searching for icons in the
>> "x2gogetapps". If you just made a link /etc/x2go/applications ->
>> /usr/share/applications you will get a list with all possible desktops.
>> Some of them are not in fact desktop applications and have no icons in
>> directories like "<theme path>/<icon size>/apps". I think, for 99% of
>> applications, which you really want to publish on your server,
>> x2gogetapps will find the icon. In all other cases administrator just
>> should put the icon in one of generic icons directory - for example in
>> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/. If some one have a better idea
>> about icon resolution algorithm, feel free to talk with me about it.
>
> The problem (for me) rather is that many applications have icons in
> /usr/share/pixmaps in various formats. These icons should also be taken
> into account, I guess :-(

Actually, Qt should automatically recognize most icon formats. All
icons, that I have in my system are displayed correctly. Send me
(private) some example of icons, which not recognized from X2Go Client
and I'll check them.

>>>   - x2goclient is configure _not_ to minimize into the systray. After
>>>     establishing a published application session I see for buttons in
>>> the
>>>     center of the blue window area of x2goclient. The buttons do not
>>> fit in
>>>     there (they overlap).
>>
>> I see, you font size is just too large. I'll think, how I can solve this
>> problem. I should find another place for "Applications..." button.

> That might well be, And: people tend to customize their desktops, so we
> have to react to that with flexible widget geometry definitions.
>
> It might also be a i18n issue (count('Ordner freigeben') > count('Share
> folder')).
Yepp, It will be completely changed in new version of client.

>>>   - Is there a concept for evaluating i18n parts of desktop files?
>>> Application
>>>     links appear in English still.
>>
>> Actually, all localized strings from desktop files are transferred to
>> client. For example, if you client localization is de_DE, the strings
>> Name[de] and Comment[de] will be used to describe your application in
>> x2goclient. If this fields are not present in "desktop" file, "Name" and
>> "Comment" will be used.
>
> Ok, I have tested again. Translation of menu items works.
>
>>>   - Alex, whenever we are about to release the new code, we should make
>>> a call
>>>     for translation, so that i18n files are updated with the new version
>>
>> Good idea. But I don't think, that it is a target for developers. I
>> think we should found a "localization" group, which will take care about
>> localization. Volunteers?
>
> A small team has already gathered:
> x2go-i18n at lists.berlios.de
>
> However, they (a) need dev support for committing their changes to Git
> and (b) the devs have to say: ,,Ok guys, all text elements are now in a
> state that they will not get changed again tomorrow, please translate.''
> The translators won't be able to know that by themselves. So: we
> developers send out the ,,call for translation''.

Okay

> Greets,
> Mike

regards,