[X2Go-Dev] libjpeg-turbo and NX/X2Go

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Jan 30 21:39:54 CET 2012

Hi Alex,

On Mo 30 Jan 2012 15:11:51 CET Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:

> Hm, I'm not sure. I think, the users should be able to decide it.

Yes, that's what I think, too. And, I also think the distro
maintainers should decide whether libjpeg-turbo is used on the distro
and also whether libjpeg is fully replaced by libjpeg-turbo or whether
libjpeg-turbo is an option for the distro users.

Unfortunately, Debian does not have libjpeg-turbo in SID yet.

> But we
> can make configuration of X2Go with libjpeg-turbo be easier. For
> example, if user have already installed libjpeg-turbo_1.1.90_i386.deb
> from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo/files/1.1.90%20%281.2beta1%29/
> , agent wrapper can check if directory /opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib/ exists
> and export it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I'm not sure that we should provide
> libjpeg-turbo by ourself.

I am not sure on this...

Currently, I think, offering the packages for Debian in the nightly
repositories should be all we do. People have a .deb based
installation source for the library (which we already do for Debian
squeeze, wheezy and sid) and once installed, people can use
dpkg-divert to select which JPEG lib they can use. As long as we do
not have proper test results and a proof that libjpeg-turbo is a great
enhancement, we should not customize X2Go to use it.

Once we have test results, the distros may already have incorporated
it in their archives and this discussion becomes pointless, anyway...

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B