[X2go-Dev] Fwd: Performance with KDE 4.8 + Qt 4.8

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Jan 27 13:18:42 CET 2012

Hi Alex,

I guess, we have to take care of this in X2Go, too. What do you think?

Mike

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von fcoiffie at gmail.com -----
      Datum: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:41:05 +0100
        Von: Frédéric COIFFIER <fcoiffie at gmail.com>
Antwort an: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
    Betreff: [FreeNX-kNX] Performance with KDE 4.8 + Qt 4.8
         An: freenx-knx at kde.org

Since first versions of Qt 4, the performance of this toolkit through
NX/FreeNX has decreased (compared to Qt3) : it slows to refresh and there are
many glitches.
Moreover, Qt 4 can supports different graphic backend :
  - native which uses X11
  - raster which makes many operations on an internal graphic buffer without
using X11.

On a local machine, raster performs well but it is really slow with a remote
X11 or NX/FreeNX.

It seems that the next version of KDE 4.8 (associated with Qt 4.8) will select
raster by default.
I have found a workaround to keep raster on a local connection and to select
native with FreeNX (ugly hack) :

/usr/bin/nxnode :
           sess_id="$SERVER_NAME-$display-$uniqueid"
           [ "$EXPORT_SESSIONID" = "1" ] && export NXSESSIONID="$sess_id"

+         export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native

           OLD_UMASK=$(umask)

Regards,
Frederic
      Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
     Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ

          Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
                  http://www.nomachine.com/kb/