[X2go-Dev] Successful test of libjpeg-turbo with X2Go (was Re: libjpeg-turbo use with X2GO)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Jan 23 20:37:18 CET 2012

Hi again,

On Mo 23 Jan 2012 18:57:37 CET Mike Gabriel wrote:

> Hi Waldek,
>
> cross-posting to x2go-dev ML as we should not SPAM the x2go-user
> list  with such complex stuff ;-) Maybe you want to subscribe to
> x2go-dev?
>
> On Sa 21 Jan 2012 12:59:46 CET Waldek wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anybody try to configure for example ubutu to configure x2goserver
>> to use libjpeg-tubro (
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo/ ) instead libjpeg ?
>> I  have read that for example OpenNX client for neatx or freenx
>> server  recommend to use this because libjpeg-turbo have speed
>> improvement   than standard libjpeg and it will be use full to
>> reduce transfer for  x2go session. I don't know how to configure
>> (or is it possible?)  x2goserver on ubutu to use libjpeg-turbo
>>
>> Regards
>
> libjpeg-turbo support (from my perspective) is a distribution issue.
>  Libjpeg-turbo is pending for Debian sid inclusion:
>
> As we do not have plans to ship libjpeg-turbo within the X2Go
> repository currently, I guess we will have to wait for distro
> inclusion in Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> With other distros that already have libjpeg8 (optionally) replaced
> by  libjpeg-turbo, it should be possible to compile NX
> (redistributed)  against the faster libary.
>
> There also is another NX related project on git.ethersoft.ru that
> provides NX with libjpeg-turbo. However, that repos only builds NX
> for  FreeNX.

I have just tested an NX build against libjpeg-turbo. The
libjpeg-turbo libraries I obtained from here:
http://people.debian.org/~fabo/libjpeg-turbo_1.1.90+svn704-1/

The test system was a Debian squeeze (so backporting from some brand
new SID package is possible).

When using 16m-jpeg-9 compression over a UMTS (HDSPA) uplink the
difference between libjpeg and libjpeg-turbo is smashing!!! It becomes
so much smoother...

 From my perspective, we should start testing on nx-libs with
libjpeg-turbo in the nightly repository in the very very very near
future.

The change-over is easy: if libjpeg-turbo62 is installable in the
build chroot, NX builds against that one. If it is not present, it
builds against libjpeg62.

@Developers: please give feedback on the proposed step.

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B