[X2go-Dev] NX (redistributed) -- x2goagent fully integrated into NX-libs (call for testing)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Jan 13 08:32:28 CET 2012

Hi all,

recently there has been some noise about X2Go re-working its NX code
base. Indeed some quite interesting things have been going on recently
around NX and X2Go.

During the last weeks we have completely reworked the way we build NX
libraries. This has fixed a lot of instability problems people had
recently (summer/autumn 2011) already.

During this last week we set up the X2Go subproject

   ,,NX (redistributed)'' (aka nx-libs.git on http://git.x2go.org)

The X2Go project's developers (esp. Mike and Reinhard, supported by
Alex and Heinz) have decided to re-distribute NX sources as one big
tarball that builds with GNU make and contains patches not accepted by
NoMachine themselves. The building of the tarball with GNU make
already works fine, the ,,make install'' still needs more work. John
Williams has agreed to contribute on that (thanks for that!!!).

@John: please note that I have uploaded a new tarball containing the
functionality described below ;-):
http://code.x2go.org/releases/source/nx-libs/nx-libs_3.5.0.5-full.tar.gz

During the last days now, we have achieved something that so far has
hardly been imaginable (at least to me).

We have incorporated three patches into nx-libs.git that allows to
turn NX's nxagent into x2goagent during runtime:
01:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=nx-libs.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/200_nxagent_check-binary-x2go-flavour.patch
02:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=nx-libs.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/201_nxagent_set-x2go-icon-if-x2goagent-flavour.patch
03:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=nx-libs.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/999_nxagent_unbrand-nxagent-brand-x2goagent.patch

X2Go's agent is now part of NX and is maintained in nx-libs.git on
http://git.x2go.org.

The x2goagent package from now on depends on nxagent (as they are
one). The x2goagent package provides a symbolic link to nxagent, a
separate x2goagent man page and a wrapper script in /usr/bin, nothing
else. If nxagent is executed unter the name of x2goagent, the X2GO
branding gets activated within nxagent.

Also: ,,NX (redistributed)'' is fully FreeNX compliant. Install ,,NX
(redistributed)'' from the X2Go package archives and add FreeNX
(Ubuntu Launchpad) on top of that. FreeNX and X2Go can now again be
installed parallely on the same system. Interesting for migrations or
client diversity.

This step also allows us to finally abandon the following source
projects completely now:

   nxcomp.git
   nxcompext.git
   nxcompshad.git
   nxproxy.git
   x2goagent.git

See also at the bottom of this page:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb

As this is esp. a call-out for testing the new packages(!!!!) here are
some short infos on upgrading your X2Go test servers. Packages are
available for Debian squeeze, wheezy, sid and Ubuntu lucid, ...,
precise.

The .deb packages are already available in the X2Go nightly-built
repositories:
http://wiki.x2go.org/wiki:development:nightly-builds?&#nightly-builds_for_ubuntu_gnu_linux

Please note, that x2goagent will not install when running ,,apt-get
upgrade''. Either you have to run ,,apt-get dist-upgrade'' or
explicitly install x2goagent with ,,apt-get install x2goagent''.

light+love

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B