[X2Go-Dev] x2goclient.exe - Saving session settings to registry

newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Tue Feb 21 22:19:52 CET 2012

Am 21.02.2012 22:09, schrieb Heinz-M. Graesing:
> Hello Stefan,
>
> Am 21.02.2012 15:51, schrieb newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Using the "sessions" file is the default for Linux and AFAIK also for
>> Mac OS X, so why the variation in x2goclient.exe?
> The "registry db" is the official recommended place to store application
> settings on this platform.
>
> This means that people (and applications) working with this system are
> looking for such information inside the registry - not an ini file.

There is no way to "preseed" a user profile, though, aside from some
hacks using reg.exe and a login script, as everything gets written to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER. You cannot set a domain- or machine-specific
default/template (the User named ".Default" does not what one might
think it does ;-)) . Also, once it is written to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, the
user can change it at will, there is no way to set it to read-only
(while there is --no-session-edit, there's nothing to stop the user from
clicking on x2goclient.exe directly).

Then again, the problem should become moot in about three weeks time,
when selectively publishing applications becomes available. ;-)

> As this option is already is introduced I think a second option can only
> be introduced as "optional".
Or, you could add an autosensing capability: If there's a sessions file
present, pick that, if not, write to the registry. That way, copying a
sessions file / touching an empty file in the default location would
tell x2goclient that it should refrain from storing data in the registry.

-Stefan