[X2Go-Dev] I18n - how to do it

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Feb 20 20:10:50 CET 2012

Hi Terje,

On Mo 20 Feb 2012 19:59:09 CET Terje Andersen wrote:

> Hi Moritz, Mike & all
>
> Den 20. feb. 2012 11:12, skrev Moritz Struebe:
>> Hi Mike.
>>
>> On 2012-02-20 10:46, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>>> Most important thing is that such a translation service does not
>>> conflict with manual translation commits.
>> No, this should of course not be the case. Basically I am thinking of an
>> upload and a download script. The upload-script will take the latest
>> files from GIT and upload them to the server. This _can_ be triggered
>> using a cron job or done manually. The download script will download the
>> files and update the git. I'm not sure yet, whether it is better to do
>> this manually or by using a cron job. None the loss the workload should
>> not be lower than accepting a patch.
>> Using the client is described in [1]. It even denies to update the local
>> files when updating from the server, if you made local changes. :) Or if
>> someone else checks a new version into git you can automatically update
>> the version on the translation server.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Morty
>>

> I've used transifex, rosetta and pootle before and I'm not a big fan,
> the only two positive things (in my view) with them is that they make
> it easy for "drive-by" translation (not dedicated translation). This
> might be a big plus if what you want is a greater numbers of
> languages (which might, or might not be completely translated),
> but I think the quality goes down on the actual translation.
> With the web-based solutions also the amount of collected words,
> with their potential translation, from all the different projects using
> the service might be of help to someone, but still might lead the
> translator into using wrong words because of the missing context
> and the fact that others have chosen this word (in another, not
> related project).

Thanks a lot for this statement. That is my gut feeling with such
services, as well (but I could have never expressed it that clearly).
I'd rather prefer translators being more close to the project.
Passers-by-translation, we should avoid that.

> With Qt Linguest, often the dialog will be shown (Wow! I wish this
> would be the case for all the strings :p) which helps tremendously
> in understanding the context of the strings currently being translated.
> With po-edit it's more like the web-based ones, it's not easy to
> understand the context.

Yeah! Unfortunately, this has to be sad about poedit. You have to know
the application, where the string are within the GUI widgets, etc.

> 1) Keep clean and concise (and always updated) instructions on how
> to do the actual translation, how to create the patch, and finally where
> to send the patches.
> 2) Give translators git commit access (somehow I see this one as
> being the least likely to happen :p).

about 2): I can definitely see this happen for people who have sent
reliable patches a couple of times (like you and Daniel have over the
last days, also like Milan has in terms of code, recently).

> In my view, translators, web-page admins and documentation
> writes in a project on equal footing as those who commits
> small code-patches - all being potential committers to either
> git, or wiki/web. As people show commitment, trust should be
> given in different levels and on different arenas.

+1 from me.

> This isn't an argument for giving me git, or any other access, it's
> just my point on view and my points towards the web-based
> translation services.

I got that! Good points given.

> Anyway, I guess I'll be committed either way in translating X2Go,
> (as long as you want me, that is :-)), it's your choice what to
> use ;-)

If you may, you can start through with the smaller projects
(x2godesktopsharing, plasma-widget-x2go, etc.). ;-)

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B