[X2Go-Dev] ATTN: Alex - Questions regarding x2goclient.exe --portable and session specification

newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Thu Feb 16 21:54:16 CET 2012

Am 16.02.2012 20:11, schrieb John A. Sullivan III:
> <snip>
> I wonder if a hierarchical approach is in order as many of the settings
> may be completely the same for all users and it would be desirable to
> centrally manage them.  The KDE KIOSK is a good model where settings can
> be set centrally, environment variables can be substituted, settings can
> be locked, but, if they are not locked, they can be overridden locally
> with the most local version taking priority.  Just a thought.  I share
> Stefan's pain :) - John

Then you will be happy to learn that Alex will soon start working on a
paid-for (as in paid-by-me) extension to the X2Go client:

Step one, the short-term goal, will be the release of a client that
allows for a seperate sessions file location.

Step two will be a "published application" mode similar to what you may
or may not know from Citrix MetaFrame/Presentation
Manager/whatever-their-nom-de-jour-is: A list of applications that will
be defined on the server and presented to the user in drop-down-box
style after logging in and right-clicking the X2Go-icon in the task bar.

Of course, feel free to join in with some extra cash - I'm sure Alex
won't say no. ;-)

-Stefan