[X2Go-Dev] New major distribution builds available for X2go

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Feb 15 23:56:28 CET 2012

Hi Jan,

On Mi 15 Feb 2012 23:15:31 CET Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Wednesday 2012-02-15 10:27, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael, hi Jan, hi all,
>>
>> most of Jan's patches have been included (accepted) by NX
>> (redistributed).
>
> This implies what? I thought NoMachine closed down NX such that X2go
> is now "without a parent" so to speak, and thus the new authoritative
> source. Or not?

NoMachine is still active on NX 3.5. And, they have a high latency
responsiveness compared to other upstream projects.

X2Go acts as a buffer. We are not NX original upstream. We are
redistributors. And: we have a pile of patches that we include with
,,NX (redistributed)''.

I personally have contact with NoMachine, but their replies are very
general and not very precise on what patch they include and what not
and when that might be. ,,NX (redistributed)'' aims at being
independent from that.

Our Git structure, however, is patch based. So we can easily import
newer NoMachine tarballs, see the diff to the former tarball. After a
tarball import from NoMachine we have to adapt our patches.

>> On So 12 Feb 2012 21:55:27 CET Michael Kromer wrote:
>>
>>> 2382 ./nx-libs/unique-libnames.diff
>>
>> Mike loves this one!!! Especially thanks for this piece of awesome
>> work. If I take a look at the file list of the Debian package
>> libnx-x11, I can still see some lib files that are not renamed to
>> the new scheme (libNX_<name>.so). Does this need some more
>> fine-tuning?
>
> Xcomp, Xcompext and Xcompshad are specific to NX and did not clash with
> any Xorg-X11 lib, so I chose not to add a prefix at first. But I do not
> really mind them getting a NX_ prefix either. The pkgconfig files also
> need updating, they still show the old names.

There some more, how about those?

mike at minobo:~/MyDocuments/4projects/nwt-git/build/cowdancer$ dpkg -L
libnx-x11 | grep -v NX_
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/nx
/usr/lib/nx/X11
/usr/lib/nx/X11/Xinerama
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libXcomp.so
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libximcp.so
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlcDef.so
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlcUTF8Load.so
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlibi18n.so
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlocale.so
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxomGeneric.so
/usr/share
/usr/share/nx
/usr/share/nx/SecurityPolicy
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libnx-x11
/usr/share/doc/libnx-x11/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libnx-x11/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libnx-x11/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libnx-x11
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libXcomp.so.1
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libximcp.so.2
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlcDef.so.2
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlcUTF8Load.so.2
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlibi18n.so.2
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxlocale.so.2
/usr/lib/nx/X11/libxomGeneric.so.2

> [It would have also been a lot easier if NX/x2go used
> X11R7 as a base. Imakefiles make sick and the specfile is huge.]

Yes, this needs a refactoring of NX in its guts. Probably the reason,
why noone has addressed that, yet.

>>> 122 ./nx-libs/standard-dirs.diff
>>
>> REJECTED!
>> libXcomp* are unusable outside of the /usr/${libdir}/nx context. So it is
>> misleading to place them into /usr/${libdir}. Thus -> patch denied.
>
> The three libs are placed into /usr/lib/nx while all the other
> NX-specific libs are in /usr/X11R6/lib/nx.. an inexplicible
> discrepancy. Suffice to say /usr/X11R6 is obsolete now and the libs
> that previously lived there are now in /usr.

Oh... we (Debian packaging) install into /usr/lib/nx/X11... So this
should be fixed in the Imake files?

>>> 102 ./nx-libs/so-version.diff
>>
>> Partially accepted:
>> http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=nx-libs.git;a=commitdiff;h=c26e4bd825826462fc73242f94369555ae0f44fe
>
> The question here is whether someone populated the SO version with
> the package version because they had nothing better to do, or
> because they are vowing to newer remove/change any existing interface
> until .so.4. There was no way to tell, hence using this patch.--
> which, as I review it, notice that it is incomplete.

Incomplete in what way?

>>> 24 ./nx-libs/no-x11r6.diff
>>
>> Accepted:
>> http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=nx-libs.git;a=commitdiff;h=3deee8f94983ea6c072663c1197d311fc1ddaf6c
>
> Actually I threw this patch out again and replaced it by
>
> %prep
> # Need to do this since %%nxprefix (resp. %%_libexecdir) is variadic.
> perl -i -pe 's{^(#define ProjectRoot)\s.*}{$1 %nxprefix}' \
>         nx-X11/config/cf/site.def;
>
> because libexecdir is not necessarily /usr/lib, but e.g. /usr/libexec.

I will build a preview tarball of nx-libs soon. Could you simply patch
against that one?

Other option is that you work on our nx-libs.git directly and send
your patches via mail.

Thanks!!!

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B