[X2Go-Dev] [x2go-i18n] Suggestions

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Feb 15 21:04:25 CET 2012

Hi Terje,

cross-posting to x2go-dev as not so many people are listening to
x2go-i18n, yet.

On Mi 15 Feb 2012 20:10:32 CET Terje Andersen wrote:

> I've been thinking here (I know, that's dangerous :p) and I've got
> two suggestions:
>
> 1.
> I've been thinking about the translation of X2Go into languages with
> less widespread usage (like Norwegian is because of the small
> population).
> When someone gets an error message and he/she wants to search for
> more information on that error, they got less chance on finding any
> help/information because the text they search on is in a "small"
> (less used) language. Knowing what the text is in the original
> (English) language isn't possible/easy as the translation isn't done
> word-for-word, so the user can't search in English.
> What I propose is to add an error-code/number which is the same
> regardless of the language used. If this could be something more
> than just a number, like "[x2go-1234568]" it would be real easy to
> find information with search engines. This would greatly improve the
> success rate in resolving any errors, and reduce the potential for
> frustration. A list, with the potential for translated versions, on
> the wiki could be kept updated with the error-code and a short
> helpful explanation/help text.
>
> I really hope this can be considered for X2Go.

 From my point of view, I would rather make it easy to run the
application in English for debugging and recommend this as the way to
go. On Linux, this is easy:

   LANG=C x2goclient
   LANG=C pyhoca-gui

On Windows, pyhoca-gui has a --lang <LANG> option. About x2goclient, I
do not have a clue.

Doing error number bookkeeping, I guess I won't become a fan of... Hmmm...

> 2.
> In the original text (English) in the X2Go client the words
> "suspend" and "resume" gives the impression (at least for me) that
> the session is paused when suspended. I remember the early version
> of the NX libraries which actually paused the session when
> suspended, but that's a long time ago, and no longer the case. I
> therefore propose to use the words "disconnect" and "reconnect"
> instead, as this would more correct indicate the functionality that
> actually takes place.

I guess we should not change anything here, unless we find a way to
offer both possibilities:

   suspend+resume -> freeze a session state and unfreeze it later
   disconnect+reconnect -> leave a session running, come back to it later

I am wondering if the freeze/unfreeze couple is still available with
NX!!! If so, that would be an interesting feature.

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B