[X2Go-Dev] ATTN: Alex - Questions regarding x2goclient.exe --portable and session specification

newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Wed Feb 15 15:41:01 CET 2012

Am 15.02.2012 13:54, schrieb Oleksandr Shneyder:

> if running with --portable option, x2goclient should not save data in
> registry. But you should also specify a "--home" parameter.
>
>> Is it possible to specify the location of the session file?
> Yes, with "--home" parameter you can specify a folder, that should be
> used as home directory. All X2Go data (ssh files, x2goclient settings,
> sessions, etc) will be read from this directory and written into this
> directory. On windows, if using this parameter, for x2goclient settings
> will be used not registry, but the ini files in "home"/.x2goclient/
> (same way as for x2goclient on linux).
> [...]
> I plan to change many options
> and implement some new in next release of x2goclient. The same is for
> documentation.

Thanks for the info, but this brings up a few more questions:

Is there a preferred way to make pre-configured sessions available to
all users on the client, especially on Windows?
I'm asking because the registry entries are written to
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER", and the --portable --home=storage-directory-here
options *probably* require write access to the storage directory beause
of the cache files - or am I wrong?

I was hoping I could dump the sessions file into a central folder, say,
c:\program files\x2goclient\, but that won't work if cache files will be
stored in the same directory.

-Stefan