[X2Go-Dev] Packaging nx-libs (aka x2goagent) for your distro

John Williams jwilliams4200 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 00:45:53 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Milan Knížek <knizek.confy at gmail.com> wrote:
> V Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:06:55 -0800
> John Williams <jwilliams4200 at gmail.com> napsáno:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Milan Knížek
>> <knizek.confy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This approach is good for local install, though for AUR I should be
>> > more carefull not to break dependencies of other packages not
>> > maintained by me: x2goclient, winswitch (optional dependency:
>> > nxproxy), and who knows how many other packages depending on some of
>> > the nx*thing are there.
>>
>> I made sure to fill in the conflicts array with things like nxproxy,
>> nxcomp, etc.
>>
>> I also filled in the provides array with nxagent, x2goagent, nxproxy,
>> nxauth
>
> Interesting!
>
> Do I understand correctly that the AUR parser is able to offer
> alternatives to yaourt & others also on the basis of "provides" array?
>
> I.e. if the new package called nxlibs has "provides=('x2goagent'
> '...')" it will be offered to the user together with the existing
> x2goagent AUR package, so that the user can choose himself?
>
> (Sorry for being off-topic on the list now.)
>
> Thanks for the hints,
>
> Milan
>
> --
> http://www.milan-knizek.net/
> About linux and photography (Czech only)
> O linuxu a fotografování

I'm just an amateur at Archlinux packages. But, I don't think it will
be "offered" as an alternative, but if you go to install a package
that has a dependency, but you already have a package that "provides"
the dependency, then that will work. Also, if you explicity install
the provides package together with the the package that has a
dependency that is provided, then I think that will work also.