[X2Go-Dev] Problem Using Cloned Accounts

senrabdet at aol.com senrabdet at aol.com
Tue Feb 7 23:49:46 CET 2012

Hi All:

We're trying to see if we can get x2go to work on cloned accounts or ones we create via bash on an Ubuntu server.  FYI - we can start x2go sessions successfully if we create a new user "the normal way" (i.e., by hand using the GUI), create the SSH keys and move them between client (windows) and server.

When we try, however, to create a new user account on the server "programmatically" (either brand new or cloned), we consistently get an error which happens regardless of the technique we use.  As best we can tell, the cloned or programmatically created accounts function fine and as we'd expect except when we try to connect via x2go.

For example, as root we create an account with "useradd - d /home/<newusername> -m --skel /etc/skel <newusername> (we've also tried to use the same command but clone an account that works with x2go, and have tried a range of other bash "create/clone" code).

The connection is made, we see the black screen with "X2GO" and then the screen goes black and stays that way.  Is this the same problem we've seen on some of the "black screen" posts?

When we quit, we get an error message:

Connection failed head:  cannot open /home/<username>/.x2go/C-XXXXXXXXXXX_stDGNOME-dp32/cmdoutput' for reading:  No such file or directory sed: -e expression #1, char 4: unterminated 's' command cat:

>From reading the error message, it looks like somehow a "cmdoutput" file or folder is missing which we don't fine on the working account, so maybe it's written out on the fly.

Is this a permissions issue?  We think we are doing everything "identically" with the exception of how we are creating the account (e.g., how we create the ssh keys, copy the id_dsa.pub in authorized keys, add the new user to sshd_config, restart ssh).  We've tried comparing the permissions in the two accounts, but are not sure if that is even the issue.

We've checked in our user settings via the GUI and none of the users we've added --either programmatically or through the GUI--are checked in the x2go group though all are listed there and it doesn't seem to matter if we check them.

When we create a new user/account "programmatically", would this cause problems with the x2go set up for that account?

Any help appreciated!

Ted