[X2Go-Dev] @Mike, @Alex: Bug in x2gotrinitybindings Debian package (Stable)

newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Mon Feb 6 18:39:20 CET 2012

Hi guys,

I am unable to uninstall x2gotrinitybindings.

Its prerm script contains

> case "$1" in
>     configure)
>     rm -f /opt/trinity/bin/kdesktop_lock
>     mv /opt/trinity/bin/kdesktop_lock.trinity
> /opt/trinity/bin/kdesktop_lock
>     ;;
>
>     abort-upgrade|abort-remove|abort-deconfigure)
>     ;;
>
>     *)
>         echo "postinst called with unknown argument \`$1'" >&2
>         exit 1
>     ;;
> esac

which always breaks with the catch-all condition as uninstalling it
passes "remove":

apt-get remove x2gotrinitybindings
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   x2gotrinitybindings
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 156 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 121281 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing x2gotrinitybindings ...
postinst called with unknown argument `remove'
dpkg: error processing x2gotrinitybindings (--remove):
  subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                       Errors were encountered while
processing:
  x2gotrinitybindings

Trying to reinstall it breaks as well:
  apt-get install --reinstall x2gotrinitybindings
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 2 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/17.1 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package x2gotrinitybindings.
(Reading database ... 121281 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace x2gotrinitybindings 0.0.0.1+squeeze~main~10~build1
(using .../x2gotrinitybindings_0.0.0.1+squeeze~main~10~build1_all.deb) ...
postinst called with unknown argument `upgrade'
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit
status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
postinst called with unknown argument `failed-upgrade'
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/x2gotrinitybindings_0.0.0.1+squeeze~main~10~build1_all.deb
(--unpack):
  subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                       Errors were encountered while
processing:
  /var/cache/apt/archives/x2gotrinitybindings_0.0.0.1+squeeze~main~10~build1_all.deb

And I believe postinst contains similar code.

Please fix this. And I think we need some kind of check that in future,
such code doesn't end up in the stable repository (maybe a test box that
does apt-get install --reinstall <packagename> and checks for
errors/warnings in the output before a package goes into stable?).

Kind Regards,
Stefan