[X2Go-Dev] x2go for Fedora packaging issues

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Sun Dec 16 02:03:58 CET 2012

On Thursday 2012-12-13 09:56, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> Okay, but is it strictly necessary for debian packaging to have that?  I've
>> never seen it in other upstream sources.
>
> Not necessarily. Please provide a patch that keeps the current functionality in
> case the Makefile is run as root and also makes execution possible for non-root
> users.

Umm, copying a file with either of
 - install
 - cp without the --preserve option

the owner of the file will be the one who invoked the copy.
Therefore, if you run install as root, the file will be owned by root
already.

Save for cases where root has to use like install -o postfix,
install -o/-g is really useless.