[X2Go-Dev] @Alex: Fallback to PulseAudio 0.9.6 required (Windows)

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Tue Aug 7 15:02:29 CEST 2012

Am 07.08.2012 14:32, schrieb Mike Gabriel:

> I have clicks and scratches with the sample files, as well. However, I
> run them in Iceweasel 13.0.1 (Debian squeeze, backported). And I run
> them locally, not through X2Go.

Please see the test matrix linked in my original message.
Our tests included Iceweasel 3.5.16-16 and 13.0.1-1.

This is Iceweasel 13.0.1 on the server, and X2Go with PA 0.9.6 on the
Windows client:
http://ionic.de/x2go/bugs/pulse/player/playfile.php?file=Win7Ionic-RTestSys1-Flash-P0.9.6.mp3
- at about 0:30, there's a short "hiccup" as this was a WAN connection,
but that's about it.

Same setup, only with PA 1.1 from the newer X2Go Windows client:
http://ionic.de/x2go/bugs/pulse/player/playfile.php?file=Win7Ionic-RTestSys1-Flash-P1.1.mp3
- three to four "clicks" per second, absolutely unusable. :-(

> Are you guys sure that it is related to X2Go at all? On my system, I
> have PA 0.9.21-3+squeeze1 (as in Debian squeeze).

Our testing seems to indicate that it is an issue with PulseAudio 1.1,
which is shipped with X2Go's Windows client.
I think you should test it on a Windows system if you want to experience
it for yourself, since that's where we're seeing the issue.
Testing with a Linux client will just add another unknown factor to the
equation, especially as there are multiple ways of configuring sound
output under linux, as opposed to The One Microsoft Way(tm).

-Stefan