[X2Go-Dev] @Alex, @Mike - more info - BUG REPORT - X2Go Client 3.99.2.1-rc2 does not work on Windows XP

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Thu Apr 19 12:13:51 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

On Do 19 Apr 2012 11:01:58 CEST Stefan Baur wrote:

> Am 18.04.2012 21:22, schrieb Oleksandr Shneyder:

>>> This could be because you have the files listed here
>>> http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=pyhoca-contrib.git;a=tree;f=mswin/ms-vc-runtime;hb=74ed44ebd5f59d0eb28c89ede0beca711416089a
>>> elsewhere on the machine... (Assuming it is due to the reason Mike
>>> suggested in his reply.)
>>>
>>> Do you think you could cross-check on a fresh XP Professional SP3
>>> install (no other applications installed) and
>>> http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/x2goclient-3.99.2.1-rc2-setup.exe?
>
>> I've build this version on our new build server (W7) installed by
>> Mike(thank you once again, Mike). This is a release build, not debug. I
>> have no Windows XP to try it.
>
> I experimented a bit:
> It takes two files from
> http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=pyhoca-contrib.git;a=tree;f=mswin/ms-vc-runtime;hb=74ed44ebd5f59d0eb28c89ede0beca711416089a
>
> Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
> msvcr90.dll
>
> If I copy these into the x2goclient directory, the new client works
> (as in, starts up - haven't tried connecting yet) on XP, too.
>
> What's strange is that the other two DLL files are not needed even
> though they are referenced in the manifest file.
>
> @Alex + @Mike:
> Could you please work this out together?  I'm not sure if all that
> is needed is to include these files into the archive that the
> installer unpacks into the x2goclient folder, or if that is an ugly
> hack.
>
> Daniel Lindgren wrote:
>> No problems running 3.99.2.1-rc2 on Windows XP. I have
>> VC2005/VC2008/VC2010 redists all installed.
>
> So I guess the general question is: Can (=legal?) and should
> (=proper way of handling this issue?) we include the DLL/manifest
> files in the installer, or should we require the installation of the
> VC<something> redists/pull their official installer along and run it
> from within ours?  Requiring the redists/forching their install
> through our installer probably will break portable mode, though, as
> it will install the files to the system directory and not the x2go
> directory...
>
> Further info:
> The last installer to run on XP without this hack is:
> x2goclient-3.99.2.0-rc2-setup.exe

The VC++ runtime library files can be re-distributed with X2Go Client
if needed. That's what they are for.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29

However, there are different version of these library files available.
I ship the 2008 version as Python 2.7 is linked against that. Not sure
which component of X2Go Client relies on the redist-VC++-libs... not
sure what version either.

On systems that have the right version of redist-VC++-libs this bug
does not become evident.

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B