[X2Go-Dev] Fwd: Re: [X2Go-User] Client for PowerPC Macs ?

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Tue Apr 17 15:08:10 CEST 2012

* On 17.04.2012 09:34 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> As you are the one who gives his time to the Mac builds currently, it is fully
ok to say: No, we will not support old Mac OS versions on old PPC hardware. Esp.
if you cannot test the build, I guess it does not make much sense giving time
and effort for this backporting project.

Well, the problem is much worse than anticipated. Building for 10.4 and up is
not possible, unless we drop x86_64 support. While this may be no big problem
for the x2goclient which probably won't ever need more than 2G system memory, I
don't like that idea at all.

I haven't even been able to configure Qt for 10.4 on my 10.6.8 box, least build,
but it seems like Stefan's Mac Mini on 10.5 does at least produce some usable
qmake binary (just saying that I see better chances building there.) No idea
what I'd run into next.

If we want to support 10.4/Tiger, we'd have to supply two x2goclient packages -
one for 10.4 and up with ppc and x86 support and one for 10.5 and up with ppc,
(ppc64?), x86 and x86_64 support.

Seriously though, I have no idea if it's worth the effort, as Tiger's days are
counted (especially since 10.8 is coming up soon) and so far I count one user
(dunno if that's true, I'm not subscribed to x2go-user.)

I don't mean to be rude or bold, but what is your reason for not upgrading to
Leopard/10.5?

Best regards,

Mihai