[X2go-Dev] x2gobasepath and Debian Lenny

Peter Henn peter_henn at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 00:32:07 CEST 2011

Hi Mike,

today I tried packaging/building the x2goserver-3.0.99.6. from your git
for my Debian Lenny. On my system that perl script 'x2gobasepath' did
not that what it should do. It prints just nothing instead of "/usr".

When I use the default Debian stuff building the package, that script
itself is installed in
	/usr/bin/x2gobasepath
and the perl lib are installed in
	/usr/lib/x2go

My temporary fix was just modifying the print in x2gobasepath to get the
required "/usr" for my system. But that should not be the final solution.

----

However I tried that "self compiled" and "self packaged" way, because
I run crazy about reproducible session crashes of my xfce4 desktop of my
64bit server.
X2goagent seems to die without any hint in the session logs, if I use
that one from the Lenny repo: http://packages.x2go.org/debian/, when I
close a synaptic, gimp, eclipse, HP-toolbox .... and other tools.
Unfortunately the number of tools seem to become an increasing number
the last weeks. Interesting was that it depends on:
a) when that critical tool was started (e.g. just after the session
startup or later)
b) if I used the start menu or a terminal (e.g. sudo synaptic worked
fine, but starting from menu crashes the session often)

The self compiled stuff seems to be now more stable for these first
hours (finger crossed). So either it depends on the compile machine and
some library dependencies or it may be a heap memory problem of
x2goagent. And yes, I know that you wrote the stability might have
something to do with the old X-server compiled-in into the x2goagent ...

If that finally doesn't help preventing the crash pain, I hope I can ask
you, if the new x2goserver-3.0.99.6.0 would work together with the old
stable x2goagent-3.4.0-3-1 to prevent all these silly sudo log messages
from the old x2goserver-3.0.1-5 in my rsyslog data base.

Kind Regards and thank you for that great remote desktop tool.

Peter