[X2go-Dev] cups-x2go and new x2goserver

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Sep 3 10:49:08 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 09:04 +0100, Moritz Strübe wrote:
> Am 25.08.2011 15:58, Mike Gabriel schrieb:
> >
> > That should be simple. But I won't have time to work on that before
> > next week... If someone else (Morty?) wants to start on that before,
> > feel free to do so.
> >

> Hi,
> I'm on holiday in Deutsch-Süd-West-Afrika. I won't be able to do
> anything before mid to end of September (conference). But I outlined two
> different soultions in the wiki (as x2goprint IMO still is a security
> issue it is in on the security assessment page). I personally prefer the
> one where every user starts his own cups server, as this is the most
> secure soultion. I already did some proof of concept experiments and I
> see no problems here (at least in my scenarios printing using linux
> sockets worked like a charm).
<snip>
I am also very concerned about the security implications of x2goprint.
However, I would prefer a solution which can use a single, central CUPS
server it possible.  For example, in our model we are preparing for many
hundreds of vserver based users on a single host and several of those
hosts.  That would ultimately be hundreds to tens of thousands of CUPS
processes running which would not have to be if they could be fed by a
single CUPS server.  That's why we originally hacked the x2goprint
solution to support multiple x2goservers.

I do not know whether it is possible to resolve the security issues in
such a way that preserves the ability of a single CUPS server.  Thanks -
John