[X2go-dev] discussion on newly released NXv3.5 packages and X2go on pkg-x2go-devel

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri May 20 19:04:38 CEST 2011

I sent the e-mail below to fix the misunderstanding on both mailing-lists but forgot to set the right sender and so got stuck in the moderation queue :)
Since then, Mike clarified the confusion but here it's anyway.

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 17:25 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi!

> for those being able to contribute (and not subscribed to
> pkg-x2go-devel on Alioth), I would like to make you aware on a
> discussion thread around newly released NXv3.5 sources in relation to
> X2go.

> Latest NX 3.5 release
> http://www.nomachine.com/download.php
>
> Ubuntu is probably about to use these new NX libs for X2go in Ubuntu.
> The current approach is also to make nxagent itself work with X2go
> (which might not be what we want, as x2goagent has been patched by
> Alex quite a bit already). The Ubuntu developer, Stéphane Graber, who
> is really keen to get X2go into Oneiric, is very co-operative and
> interested in X2go / Python-X2go. His objective is to keep everything
> (X2go Git, Debian, Ubuntu etc.) compatible, assure that patches are
> shared and that the code base is in sync, etc.

Bad timing, I just sent an e-mail to pkg-x2go-devel about this :)

It was actually a typo I made this morning. I don't plan on having
nxagent and x2goagent compatible.
They already have a different name so they can perfectly co-exist in the
archive. X2goagent is from my point of view a clear fork of nxagent, so
it's fine to have both.

What I'm currently working on is getting python-x2go in the archive,
which means updating its dependencies:
 - nxproxy
 - nxcomp

I have test packages for these two including all the changes from x2go,
the new upstream release and remaining patches from Debian.

> But still, we (x2go-dev upstream) have to find a disposition on the
> dual-upstream issue around NX libs.

As mentioned in my last e-mail (just a few minutes ago), my problem is
with:
 - nxcomp
 - nxcompext
 - nxcompshad
 - nxproxy

Where we have two "upstreams" for the same code.
x2go would have to choose to either fork the code and rename them to
x2go* or maintain a patchset on top of NoMachine's code that maintainer
can use in their packages.