[X2go-dev] discussion on newly released NXv3.5 packages and X2go on pkg-x2go-devel

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri May 20 17:25:03 CEST 2011

Hi all,

for those being able to contribute (and not subscribed to
pkg-x2go-devel on Alioth), I would like to make you aware on a
discussion thread around newly released NXv3.5 sources in relation to
X2go.

Latest NX 3.5 release
http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

Ubuntu is probably about to use these new NX libs for X2go in Ubuntu.
The current approach is also to make nxagent itself work with X2go
(which might not be what we want, as x2goagent has been patched by
Alex quite a bit already). The Ubuntu developer, Stéphane Graber, who
is really keen to get X2go into Oneiric, is very co-operative and
interested in X2go / Python-X2go. His objective is to keep everything
(X2go Git, Debian, Ubuntu etc.) compatible, assure that patches are
shared and that the code base is in sync, etc.

But still, we (x2go-dev upstream) have to find a disposition on the
dual-upstream issue around NX libs.

In x2go-upstream we have to discuss if our nx* packages in Git are
actually a hijack (as NoMachine still seems to be active around NX
3.5). Due to the latest NXv3.5 release by NoMachine there now exists a
dual-upstream situation... This should have been avoided and now has
to be dealt with.

Currently, I see two possibilities (for X2go into Debian without
bringing up namespace issues), but I might be lacking sight here:

1. We make X2go work with NoMachine's NX 3.5 (complemented through a
patchset provided by X2go, this patchset may not break NX
functionality -> qtnx, freenx, etc., but improve functionality with
X2go).

2. We really fork NX libs, nxproxy (as already happened with
x2goagent). That would mean a renaming of libraries and also Git
projects etc, e.g.: x2goproxy, x2gocomp, x2gocompext, x2gocompshad.

Please stay tuned around this topic and contribute to the discussion,
if possible.

Thanks

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B