[X2go-dev] X2go app integration into application menu

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri May 13 00:29:55 CEST 2011

hi all, hi esp. devs,

the LinDix company in the Netherlands has asked me to work on another
project in the context of X2go.

A couple of weeks ago we discussed possibilities of approaching the
usage of X2go in SaaS environemts (that is: not ,,Desktop as a
Serice'', but Software as a Service, meaning single, dedicated
applications in this context).

The vision is:

   (a) to have a server-side X2goSSH service similar to OpenSSH that can be
       configured via ACLs so that remote application can be granted/denied to
       specific users and/or specific groups. Opposed to OpenSSH this X2go
       service will be able to restrict the execution of remote (server-side)
       commands very pedantically.

   (b) to provider X2go remote apps through the programmes' menu on your local
       desktop

In this mail I will address vision (b) in detail:

====================

For embedding X2go Apps (single remote application provided via X2go
in rootless mode) into the desktop application menu or for providing
them as desktop links the basic ideas could be listed as follows:

   o all desktop links / menu links to X2go apps will launch an instance of
     pyhoca-gui
   o only the first click on such an X2go app will load the full pyhoca-gui
     application (as first pyhoca-gui instance)
   o all other clicks will launch pyhoca-gui in interprocess-communication
     mode

       - every secondly started pyhoca-gui will notify the firstly started
         pyhoca-gui about what to do
       - this will probably be approached via UDP communication (so
that it will
         be available on Windows as well, no unix file sockets on Windows)

   o the first pyhoca-gui instance will listen to incoming requests and process
     them, such as

        - connect to another server and...
        - (...) start application A or B or C

With X2go embedded apps it will be possible to compose a desktop as a
mixture of locally installed applications and remote (SaaS)
applications on Windows and Linux.

Greetings + Request for Comments,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B