[X2go-dev] python-x2goserver API

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Thu May 12 23:58:38 CEST 2011

hi all, hi esp. devs,

the LinDix company in the Netherlands has asked me to work on another
project in the context of X2go.

A couple of weeks ago we discussed possibilities of approaching the
usage of X2go in SaaS environemts (that is: not ,,Desktop as a
Serice'', but Software as a Service, meaning single, dedicated
applications in this context).

The vision is:

   (a) to have a server-side X2goSSH service similar to OpenSSH that can be
       configured via ACLs so that remote application can be granted/denied to
       specific users and/or specific groups. Opposed to OpenSSH this X2go
       service will be able to restrict the execution of remote (server-side)
       commands very pedantically.

   (b) to provider X2go remote apps through the programmes' menu on your local
       desktop

In this mail I will address vision (a) in detail:

====================

The basic ideas of such an X2goSSH service are:

   o instead of using OpenSSH daemon the client connects to X2goSSH daemon
   o the X2goSSH service will wrap around the standard x2goserver command set
   o installation of X2goSSH will be optional
   o the client has to support the usage of the server-side X2goSSH (i.e.
     there will be a parallel implementation within python-x2go code)
   o the client has to be able to detect if it is talking to a normal
     OpenSSH daemon or if it is talking to the restricted X2goSSH service
   o the X2goSSH service will be implemented with Python-Paramiko/SSH

   o behind the X2goSSH service there listens an X2go'ish shell that
     guards and wraps around the actual execution of the already known x2go
     comands (note again: X2goSSH+X2goSHELL is a wrapper for
x2goserver commands)

   o With the help of a guy from LinDix.NL (and others?) I will soon start
     working on a possible X2goSSH+X2goSHELL command protocol in the X2go wiki

   o the proposed project name will be python-x2goserver, it will
contain several
     packages/subprojects

       python-x2goserver-x2gosshd
       python-x2goserver-x2goshell