[X2go-dev] X2go announcement-list and messages from git-admin

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon May 2 12:15:58 CEST 2011

Hi Paul, hi all,

On Mo 02 Mai 2011 11:54:31 CEST Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> From an announcement list I would expect a low volume list what gives
> information when a new version arrives or when there are security issues
> or when there is a congress or something like that.
>
> But the x2go announcement list [1] does completely something else, what
> I see are many change-messages from git-admin:
> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/x2go-announcement/2011-April/thread.html
>
> I think it would be better to change the usage of the announcement list
> and to make it an informative low volume list.
>
> Further, I see on the page of the list [1] this text:
> --------
> x2go-announcement at lists.berlios.de.
> --------
> I think that's wrong, because it's a read-only list.
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.

The purpose of the x2go-announcement list is to announce new versions
of X2go related projects. To automize this we have set up the
individual X2go git projects to post to x2go-announcement whenever a
Git project has been tagged.

Of course, this presumes that a tag equals a release. Probably the
mail body has been beautified and customized for the X2go project, as
well. Currently we use some Git default announcement template.

The high noise on the list is related to all the Git (re-)structuring
that has occurred lately. In the future I expect a far lower volume on
that list.

Any comments on this?

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B