[X2go-dev] Ubuntu/Debian Try-Out Repositories for X2go packages from Git

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon May 2 10:50:17 CEST 2011

Hi Reinhard, hi all,

On So 01 Mai 2011 22:08:35 CEST Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> The other way round, namely installing the debian packages on ubuntu
> systems, has been the recommended distribution method for ubuntu users
> for years.

Yepp.

> [...]

About the named details around dependencies you are absolutely right.
It is no problem to install Ubuntu lucid packages on Debian squeeze.
They should run out-of-the-box.

But still: my personal intention about having packages for Debian
_and_ Ubuntu at hand is to reduce the questionmarks on the users' side.

   o you run Ubuntu -> use the x2go ppa
   o you run Debian -> install from packages.x2go.org/debian.

I know that Heinz used to get flooded with personal mails that exactly
have pointed to this question: I am using Ubuntu, but I can only see
packages for Debian lenny, what shall I do? Or: I use Deb squeeze, but
there are only lenny packages... ??? etc.pp.

We currently have nightly-built packages available for all current
versions of Ubuntu and Debian. These nightly-builds are for
developmental testing only.
http://wiki.x2go.org/nightly-built_packages_debian_ubuntu

For Debian we also have ,,stable'' packages (main area on
packages.x2go.org/debian)
http://wiki.x2go.org/adding_the_x2go_repository_debian

and we should also provide similar packages for Ubuntu, too, in a
separate ppa. These are for the users.

As long as X2go is not included in Debian (and therefore not in
Ubuntu), our main objective around packaging should be providing
stable packages to our current user community (I presume that the
majority of current X2go users use Debian/Ubuntu).

Once X2go is in Debian I would like to reduce package building to
nightly builds only, again (speaking for the project internal Debian
packaging). Again, I quite like having nightly builds for Debian and
Ubuntu.

Another current goal is to make X2go code as generic as possible so
that people who want to package X2go for other distros may do this at
more ease as currently possible (add Makefiles to all packages -> TODO
Mike, create tarball releases directly from Git).
http://wiki.x2go.org/tarball_releases_of_x2go

Note: the packaging for .deb-based systems has two reasons:

   1. continue to provide X2go to the current user community until we have
      X2go in Debian (and conclusively in Ubuntu)
   2. developmental testing

The first aspect may disappear once the Debian packaging team has
started its work. The second aspect we will probably continue
,,forever'' out of our own interests.

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B