[X2go-dev] X2go is insecure

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Mar 29 19:21:52 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 16:33 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 15:35:32 (CEST), Dick Kniep wrote:
>
> > The problem is caused by the fact that the x2go server does not restrict
> > the commands that can be entered thru ssh. This is bad, but what is
> > worse, is that the X2go clients actually use this security hole to start
> > any command it needs.
>
> I don't get this. In the default setup, x2go is used to provide a full
> desktop environment like Gnome or KDE. There, I can of open some
> terminal emulator and also execute arbitrary commands like 'rm -rf *'.
>
> What you explain would make sense in a locked-down kiosk-like environment.

I think the concerns are valid.  I would love to see it addressable at
the X2Go level but we took a different approach since our environment is
exposed to the Internet and is also multi-tenant and, as Reinhard points
out, the problem is not limited to X2Go and is part of the fundamental
functionality.

We run all the X2Go servers in VServer guests and we use KDE in KIOSK
mode.  We also separate the user systems from the server farms and use
micro-perimeter security with ISCS (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) but
that's another story.  The VServer guests have no root access and
limited kernel privileges.  Each X2Go server is dedicated to a single
user.  With VServer, that incurs minimal overhead.  However, we did have
to make major changes to X2Go to make it more efficient and more secure
in that environment. I believe we documented those and shared them with
the list over a year ago.  We still have a few quirks but it is running
fairly well and with reasonable security - John