[X2go-dev] Trinity and X2go

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Fri Mar 11 22:30:03 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 20:49 +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi x2go-dev,
>
> I have just started upgrading my
> always-as-stable-as-possible-Debian-office-computer to Debian squeeze
> and installed Trinity (KDE3.5 fork).
>
> Not that my personal todo list and probably those of others are not
> long enough already, but we should definitely add Trinity support to
> X2go.
>
> @John: in one of your postings lately I may remember you mentioning
> Trinity in relation to X2go. Do you have any patches or a howto for an
> installation. Basically, I think an adaptation of x2gokdebindings and
> the x2gostartagent script shouldn't be too difficult...

<snip>
Hi, Mike.  Actually, we are using it in production with nary a problem -
at least not one specific to Trinity! We had installed X2Go originally
on Debian Lenny and then simply migrated to Trinity.

I suppose it depends on how Trinity is installed.  In our case, we
renamed the original /usr/bin/startkde and then added a symbolic
link /usr/bin/startkde pointing to /opt/trinity/bin/startkde.  Trinity
honors the XDG and KIOSK directories and we copied ~/.kde to ~/.trinity
for the users.  I suppose we could call /opt/trinity/bin/startkde
explicitly if we wanted to add it to the client as Trinity rather than
KDE.  That would give the option of running Trinity and KDE4 on the same
system.  In our case, we wanted to make the transition as seamless as
possible and we have no intention of going to KDE4 in production for the
foreseeable future - John