[X2go-dev] Looking for information on the future of x2go (and some other x2go-related stuff)

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Thu Mar 3 13:29:45 CET 2011

Hello Alexander,

you wrote:

 >> Security: While it would be possible to connect the NX or x2go
 >> server to the Windows Domain using PAM, keeping the two "worlds"
 >> seperate is a security benefit, since in the unlikely event that the
 >> Linux box gets hacked, the Windows Domain is not exposed to the
 >> attacker.

 >On the other hand, in the far more likely event your Windows Domain gets
 >hacked, you have handed the attacker all the Unix passwords on a
 >platter.

Well, I'll admit that I might be a little self-centric here, but in the
usage scenario I have in mind, the Windows Domain has no Internet
connection at all, except for the one server distributing the
Windows Update packages - and even that one is limited to the Windows
Update sites using a whitelist on a proxy server.
So an attacker would have to be a rogue employee or someone else who
gained physical access (fake janitor or whatever). The Linux box with
NX/x2go, OTOH, is connected to the Internet.

Kind Regards,
Stefan