[X2go-dev] Looking for information on the future of x2go (and some other x2go-related stuff)

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Thu Mar 3 00:14:40 CET 2011

Hi Angela,

you wrote:

> I just want to say:
>
> WELL DONE!

Aww thank you *blush*. ;-)

> Thank you for the accurate and carefully worded questions and thoughts
> and informations about X2go!
Well, seems like attending A-level English classes back in school did
pay off, then, huh? ;-)

> It's always great when qualified people from "outside" ask questions
> and tell their view -
> now we have lots of informations summarized in a few mails and surely
> new ideas rising in the X2go-community

I'd call that a win-win. The thing is, I've been selling and supporting
a FreeNX-based solution for a while, and FreeNX is starting to show its age.
Actually, the whole free-as-in-beer-but-not-free-as-in-speech stuff in
my solution is starting to bite me hard (I'm forced to migrate away from
several free but closed source components). So I figured that when I'm
already forced to perform such a migration, I should replace as many
components as possible* with FLOSS stuff. That's why I started to
intensify my experiments with x2go, and what caused me to post my
questions on the list - I need to find out if x2go is, or can be turned
into, a viable alternative for FreeNX in my particular use case.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

*My dream would be a completely FLOSS-based system, but while there are
replacements for Adobe Reader, open source Flash support is still in its
infancy, so I can't avoid shipping Adobe Flash in the form of
flashplugin-nonfree*.deb.