[X2go-dev] PulseAudio and X2go (was Re: Looking for information on the future of x2go (and some other x2go-related stuff))

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Mar 2 17:53:15 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 17:38 +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Mi 02 Mär 2011 17:32:02 CET Stefan Baur wrote:
>
> > ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
> > ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
> > returned error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
> > ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
> > returned error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > ALSA lib conf.c:4649:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Datei oder
> > Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> > ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> > ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
> > ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
> > snd_func_card_driver returned error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
> > gefunden
> > ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
> > ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
> > returned error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
> > ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
> > returned error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > ALSA lib conf.c:4649:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Datei oder
> > Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> > ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
>
> This hints that firefox is not using PulseAudio. Maybe this
> documentation helps a bit...
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

<snip>
I'll dig a little deeper for you if the information in this email does
not help.  A couple of items:

If you are testing only with Firefox, you do need to edit
the /etc/firefox/firefoxrc file:

# which /dev/dsp wrapper to use
ICEWEASEL_DSP="esddsp"
#ICEWEASEL_DSP="padsp"

padsp does work in Squeeze (I believe it caused a segfault in Lenny). We
still use esddsp because our Trinity desktops fail with padsp and we
haven't taken time to troubleshoot it.

If you are using very recent versions of the X2Go client, viz., those
which use libssh, you may need to manually create a .ssh directory.  I
forget exactly where it is needed but there should be something in the
mail list archives from Phil (uxbod) about this issue.  Not having that
causes the reverse ssh connections to fail.  Hope that helps - John