[X2go-dev] PyHoca and the web

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:36:50 CET 2011

On 2 March 2011 12:45, brian mullan <bmullan.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip] (Remote Desktop can be anything, from a video streaming service
to screenshots)

> With Wayland in the future in several distro's (Red Hat and Ubuntu &
> derivatives) are technologies like this something that could be used in an x2go
> future?

Red Hat? I don't think it's likely that they'll switch to Wayland in
the near future. Possibly during the next five years, but I think it's
more likely they'll hold off further into the future. They're not
primarily a desktop company. Besides, they're going for stability and
X is about as mature as Wayland is not.

Wayland doesn't have any remote display functionality. The developers
are discussing it, and any discussion about what protocol to use, is
pointless until we know what protocol they're going to use. Perhaps
SPICE will be of use. It works quite well for virtual machines. If
that can be built into the display server, I think that could give
some interesting results. But again... Only time will show.

I don't understand this hunger for X over HTML. It's going to be far
less efficient and I really don't see the big benefit. except for the
ubiquity of the web browser. But is that enough to make large
concessions in efficiency and functionality? Well, the Telnet client
is available on far more computers than any SSH client is. Should we
switch back, just to increase the availability a little bit?

I don't think it's a good idea.

/Jo-Erlend