[X2go-Dev] 3.99 Testing - General sluggishness

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Fri Jul 22 16:30:10 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 00:26 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> I suppose I'll cover this one next as John Williams raised one of the
> issues.  This is another Windows only issue.
>
> This issue has two categories.  It is complicated by the packing problem
> because we can only run the Windows client now with sub-optimal packing
> but it was a problem before the corruption issue struck.
>
> Screen painting is just slower - not just a little slower - a lot
> slower.  The typical anecdotal test I've been using is scrolling through
> my Evolution Inbox.  Evolution has always seemed to have terrible
> graphics handling. I don't know what it does but it is always sluggish
> and awkward - thus an excellent test of how well we handle challenging
> graphics.
>
> Even under Linux on a LAN, scrolling is miserably slow.  Shift down
> arrow and wait 1/4 second for a response.  This is really annoying.
> However, in Windows, it is wait 1/2 to 3/4 seconds for a response.  This
> takes it from annoying to dangerous as users wind up deleting or opening
> unintended emails, i.e., the hold the shift down arrow until they think
> they have highlighted the mails they want and then press enter.  What
> they don't realize is that five more emails will be selected because of
> the delay between what they see and the key buffer.

<snip>
Ugh! Make that 2 to 3 seconds between down arrow and response!!!!

I tried to resume a session I had suspended from Linux but it complained
about a mismatched color depth.  I checked my Windows laptop and,
indeed, it was set to 16 bit color.  I changed it to 32 bit color and
performance has gone through the floor - John