[X2go-Dev] x2go live-build based livesystems

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Fri Jul 15 12:28:44 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:02:50 (CEST), Mike Gabriel wrote:

> Hi Reinhard,
>
> On So 10 Jul 2011 11:35:41 CEST Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>

>> Last friday we've been experimenting with creating thin clients using
>> the live-build infrastructure. This is the infrastrucutre that is used
>> by both debian live and from oneiric onwards, the ubuntu live cds. This
>> worked included backporting relevant packages from oneiric to natty and
>> fixing some annoying bugs for getting actual working packages.
>>
>> Mainly as a self reminder for me, here some test instructions for
>> *natty* systems. Feedback (as always) welcome:
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:siretart
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>> sudo apt-get install live-build x2go-rootfs
>> mkdir /tmp/build
>> cd /tmp/build
>> cp -rv /usr/share/x2go-livefs/auto .

btw, I've fixed the path, it's /usr/share/x2go-rootfs/auto now.

>> sudo lb clean
>> lb config
>> sudo lb build
>>
>> after this, you should end up with a lubuntu/natty based live cd
>> 'binary-hybrid.iso' that has an lxdm configured to autologin the user
>> 'user'. Moreover, x2goclient and rdesktop should be available in the
>> system. This binary-hybrid.iso is for me less than 500MiB in size and
>> AFAIUI (but I didn't test myself) should also worke from an usb stick
>> (dd if=binary-hybrid of=/dev/sdX).
>>
>> hints: /tmp/build is best done on a tmpfs. You'll need around 2gb space
>> available there.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Would it make sense to provide the live-cd builder in the
> x2gothinclient.git project on code.x2go.org???

If x2go as a project decides to abandon the existing TCE effords in
favor of live-build, sure, why not. Otherwise I don't think it makes
makes sense to support both.

Moreover, for your department thin client, I'm maintaining a copy with
additional site-specific customizations. If there is indeed interest, I
could see what can/should be merged back.

live-build 3 is available in debian wheezy and later. For squeeze
someone would have to backport it (and live-boot 3, and live-config 3),
or redo the efford with live-build 2 from squeeze.

> Others might also be interested in a live-cd image of the X2go Thin Client...

In that case I'd recommend to install the .debs from my PPA.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4