[X2go-dev] VcXsrv

Oleksandr Shneyder oleksandr.shneyder at obviously-nice.de
Sat Jan 29 09:03:33 CET 2011

Am 28.01.2011 20:44, schrieb Heinz-M. Graesing:
> Hi John,
>
> Am 28.01.2011 17:55, schrieb John A. Sullivan III:
>> Even if we ultimately standardize on vcxsrv, I suggest we still keep the
>> option to not install it in the installer and the option to use Other in
>> the client for those who already have a commercial (or future FOSS)
>> Windows X Server.  At least, that's how we thought it through.  Thanks -
>> John
>
> I would suggest not to make this part of the installer. Of cause it
> should be part of the client configuration. The problem I see by
> modifying the installer is that some companies have already made the
> client installer part of their software deployment solution (a lot of
> people asked for a "silent install option").
> As the installer is addressed to normal users, this might be a bit
> confusing.

Hello,

I have two new Ideas.

1. We providing a "netinstaller". With defaults option it will get
x2goclient and Xming from net. There is "advanced>>" button in installer
dialog, which opening for user advanced options. Advanced options are:
"get vcxsrv instead of xming" and "not download Xserver".

2. We providing 3 nsis-installers: x2goclient+xming, x2goclient+vcxsrv,
x2goclient without Xserver. The first installer is default and it is
easy to found on download page. The two other installers are hidden
under link "other downloads" or "experimental" or "name is not
important, you understand what I mean".

I would prefer second choice, because for large installations (I think
John have such one) is easier to provide a direct url to installer or
installer itself then by every installation configure installer to get
vcxsrv. There are less chances, that user make something wrong if he
just clicks with his mouse without understanding what he making. And is
easier to us (we don't need to create "net installer")

Regards,
--
Oleksandr Shneyder
Dipl. Informatik