[X2go-dev] Project Managemant (Was: Repository for Squeeze)

Heinz-M. Graesing x2go-dev at x2go.org
Tue Jan 25 22:47:16 CET 2011

Hello Moritz,

Am 24.01.2011 16:28, schrieb Moritz Struebe:
> Am 24.01.2011 15:36, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>>
>> we (Heinz, Mike, Jonas Smedegaard) are currently forming a Debian
>> packaging team and are discussing / working towards a Debian ITP for
>> X2go...
>>
>> We need to go still a little futher but once we have some definite
>> news, I/we will let you know.
>
> Is there a reason for doing so off list? I can totally understand if you
> ignore other peoples comments for efficiency reasons, but for me it
> feels like there is only little progress (especially as  this is going on
> since oktober) and the first result wasn't very helpful.

It is true that the process is going on since october. In the first
stage we tried to find the right place where to host our public git. Now
that we know that the decision to use BerliOS will not give us enough
room for requirements we again are looking for a hosting option located
in germany. Mike Gabriel is a helping member of this list and he offered
his infrastructure. Nevertheless this will not be immediately usable -
especially now that we know what it means to have the discussed
structure and features realized.

Some time after that was used to get the existing code ready to be
pushed inside the git, because this too was a new layout.

One of the reasons why there was a discussion held outside the list was
that we've used a telephone. As you can read now, there is no big secret
about that conversation.

> reasons: One is the current situation of the repo. For me it is
> incomprehensible why it isn't possible to at least make the current repo
> available publicly, so the different people working on x2go can
> synchronize their work. If I can't how should I persuade others?

Maybe it would be an idea to help us in this point. As I've pointed out
before, we a looking for a public git hosting opportunity which can be
administrate by mike. It should be capable to host the new
function/package orientated structure (different gits) and needs to be
located in germany. As a result of the "discussion" in october we can't
host it by our own (without running into trouble). Mike can do this by
himself, but maybe there is a solution which would speed up this progress.

> The other is the kind of project management. Especially reading the
> mails from October, I strongly get the impression, that there is an
> inner circle of developers who are not very interested in opening there
> development work to others.

Please also read the postings about our 3 different communities:
Linux4afrika, Skolelinux and the new Internet Community. We've been
cooperating with Linux4afrika for a long time.

I want to break the statement down into two different items:

First of all the are missing technical dependencies: A git and a bug
tracker. This has never been compensated by alternatives like a
bugtracking mailing list.

In a second instance we needed to improve communication. I think this is
really not working yet. The purpose of this list is to discuss the
development of x2go. Other groups were introduced to keep care of the
needs of new users and for announcements. All lists should be moderated
(but I would say - they wasn’t).

A paragraph containing a personal statement:
There is a additional non public list which is called "my INBOX". And as
a result of this discussion it was choosen again as typical way of
communication. As you (all) want us to communicate in public, please
make sure to try this too.

> overhaul, before we can use x2go in our environment - finding those
> severe security issues wasn't too much work.

It would be really helpful if you would post more details about that.
Even if there is no real bugtracker at the moment. I would suggest that
the subject of such bugreports should be starting with
"BUG:Description". I think those issues should be made public as soon as
possible.

Regards,

Heinz