[X2go-dev] Project Managemant (Was: Repository for Squeeze)

Moritz Struebe Moritz.Struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Jan 24 16:28:58 CET 2011

Am 24.01.2011 15:36, schrieb Mike Gabriel:

> we (Heinz, Mike, Jonas Smedegaard) are currently forming a Debian
> packaging team and are discussing / working towards a Debian ITP for
> X2go...
>
> We need to go still a little futher but once we have some definite
> news, I/we will let you know.

Is there a reason for doing so off list? I can totally understand if you
ignore other peoples comments for efficiency reasons, but for me it
feels like there is only little progress (especially as this is going on
since oktober) and the first result wasn't very helpful.
I am very unhappy with the current situation because I have a hard time
persuading anyone of x2go, and a bad stand for getting manpower for two
reasons: One is the current situation of the repo. For me it is
incomprehensible why it isn't possible to at least make the current repo
available publicly, so the different people working on x2go can
synchronize their work. If I can't how should I persuade others?
The other is the kind of project management. Especially reading the
mails from October, I strongly get the impression, that there is an
inner circle of developers who are not very interested in opening there
development work to others. I read a similar undertone in the mails
concerning the security issues we uncovered. Or in other words: While
x2go is open source the development seems very closed.
I don't want to devaluate the work done so far. x2go is probably one of
the most usable solutions so far. None the less, the code does need an
overhaul, before we can use x2go in our environment - finding those
severe security issues wasn't too much work. While I think that I'm able
to get some manpower to get things forward I'm afraid this will not be a
happy partnership due to the aforementioned reasons.
Again, this is my personal view  and I really appreciate your work. None
the less I'd also appreciate, if the core team would open up, and make
contributions from outside more easy.

Cheers
Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Struebe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
WWW   : http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~morty