[X2go-dev] X2go Git now available at BerliOS

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Thu Jan 6 23:50:08 CET 2011

Dear X2go-folks,

the X2go Git repository at BerliOS has been set up today. You can
browse the X2go-Git at BerliOS:
http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/x2go/tree/?h=master
http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/x2go/tree/?h=develop

META INFORMATION
================
The master branch is the project's release branch. A commit to master
will be equivalent to an X2go release. The develop branch will be the
branch that you can derive your own branches from for features you
want to implement (and possibly propose for integration into X2go).

Currently, the develop branch is a simple copy of the master branch.
Heinz and Alex have just finished a complete rewrite of the x2goclient
that will use libssh as opposed to ssh binary calls in the background.
Alex has proposed a patch to upstream libssh that got accepted and
once the new libssh version is released there will be a commit to the
develop branch containing the latest x2goclient code. This is expected
for the end of January 2011.

We are also still discussing the Git branching model details. As a
template for the discussion we use this document (as proposed by
HedgeHog from the x2go-dev list):

There will be some slight modifications to this model but the
discussion will take place along this very fine piece of work.

USING X2go/Git:
===============

You can anonymously clone a working copy of X2go Git with this command:

   $ git clone git://git.berlios.de/x2go x2go

BerliOS users should also be able to clone a working copy with this command:

   $ git clone ssh://<developername>@git.berlios.de/gitroot/x2go x2go

If you want to branch off of the develop branch for your own
implementation work, then do this after having cloned the BerliOS Git:

   $ cd x2go
   $ git checkout develop
   $ git checkout -b branch_<featurename>

... where <featurename> is a short string of your choice (at least for
now) that describes the feature you are going to implement.

If you intend working on a feature that you would like to become part
of X2go some time in the future then we should agree on some, e.g.:

   1) please talk to Heinz and Alex about your ideas first, don't simply start
      working
   2) make sure that you work in small portions, do not rewrite the
complete code
      and expect a merge
   3) document your work

For now, feature branches will stay on your local file systems. Once,
we have finished our discussion on the Git branching model we will
inform you on how merge requests can be send to the project (probably
via a commit of your feature branch to BerliOS, but we will see...).

Looking forward to a growing project and an active X2go community with
lots of fine contributions...

light+love,

GnuPG Key ID 0x1943CA5B
mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de