[X2go-dev] X2Go media player for redirected video [was Re: EyeOS]

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Feb 23 05:59:10 CET 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 23:23 -0500, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 10:16 PM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 21:09 -0500, Gerry Reno wrote:
> >
> > <big snip>
> >> And rather than trying to pass the actual content around it's just seems
> >> easier to post the content on a webserver that the users can access from
> >> their client machines.
> >>
> > This is where I disagree.  When we have control of the content and
> > environment that works.  But that's not our environment.  We want as
> > seamless a user experience as possible whether they are browsing the
> > Internet and hit a video, clicking on an email attachment that happens
> > to be video, or viewing some kind of embedded video content.  We expect
> > our clients to be able to work as closely as possible to their physical
> > environment in their virtual environment.  The onus is on us to make
> > that possible as transparently as possible without changing their
> > procedures.  That may not be true of all deployments but it is true of
> > ours - John
> >

> Right now there is no simple way to do this with x2go or any of the
> other remote access technologies.
Actually, although I have not used it, I believe Citrix is doing
something like this.  Whatever EyeOS is doing works very well.  HP is
taking a different approach by adapting their transport to the nature of
the video being transmitted.  If what I propose is feasible, we have a
possible solution.

> For true transparency the media would have to be played on the remote
> desktop media player but then the performance is bad.
>
> To get satisfactory performance you have to use the media players on the
> users machine but then you would not have seamless experience.
It is not entirely seamless but, at least for our purposes, it is much
better than saying, "save the video to disk, transfer the file to your
local computer, now open it using your local media player." Let's do all
of that automatically for them.  That may not work well for your
environment but it would for ours.

> A 'Catch-22' scenario that will probably only be solved with future
> network bandwidth increase.
Not if what I propose if feasible or if we find a more video friendly
transport.
<snip>