[X2go-dev] EyeOS

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Feb 23 00:36:58 CET 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 18:21 -0500, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 05:59 PM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> I don't remember if it was eyeos, but we looked at some of these "web
> >> desktop integration" solutions a while back.
> >>
> >> It's not the same experience as having a "real" desktop.
> >>
> >> Yes, they've managed to write some office-style apps and email clients
> >> and other things.
> >>
> >> But that does not truly duplicate a bona-fide native desktop.
> >>
> >> Many of the clients we pursue have very industry-specific software they
> >> need to run.
> >> It needs to run the same whether we put it on their machines or ours in
> >> the cloud.
> >>
> >> With good remote access there's no retraining of users because they are
> >> using the same software they've been using for years.  Just accessing it
> >> remotely.
> >>

> >> In the end, we opted to not go the WDI approach and instead looked for
> >> good remote access technologies such as x2go that gives us the
> >> flexibility to offer nearly any type of local/remote/cloud solution for
> >> the client.
> >>
> > <snip>
> > That is exactly why we chose X2Go instead.  However, what caught my eye
> > (no pun intended) was how responsive the video and sound were -
> > significantly better than what we are doing in X2Go.  So, in the
> > openness of open source, I wonder what we can learn from what they have
> > done to improve X2Go - John
> >

> Since most of these WDI offerings are browser-based my guess is that
> they are passing a link down to the browser and accessing the video and
> sound through an embedded media player directly rather than playing the
> media on the server and then passing the output through to the client.
>
> Just a guess.
<snip>
That is definitely the case in one scenario.  When starting a YouTube
video, I was asked it I wanted to allow a redirect and, sure enough, it
opened up as a local browsing session on my physical computer.  However,
if I did not allow redirection (answered no), the video opened in the
EyeOS browser and played remarkably well.  I'm assuming (ignorantly)
that that was not using a local media player - John