[X2go-dev] Windows client 3.01-18, VcXsrv 1.9.4.1

John Williams jwilliams4200 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 00:33:48 CET 2011

I've been using windows client 3.01-13 for a couple months, and it
works reasonably well, but I have experienced two consistent problems
-- apparently random disappearance of the mouse pointer (fixed by
quitting x2go and starting again), and some problems with windows
updates, especially with gnome-terminal windows when there is a long
scroll job, sometimes the windows do not update (waving the mouse
cursor in front of the window usually causes it to update).

I decided to test the recent 3.01-18 client and VcXsrv 1.9.4.1. First
I just tried 3.01-18 with the built-in xserver. I only tested that for
a short time, but one problem I found was that sound was broken. Sound
works fine when I go back to 3.01-13, but sound does not work at all
with 3.01-18. VLC complains about the ALSA driver and locks-up, adobe
flashplayer 64-bit prerelease "square" hangs. Both apparently related
to the broken sound.

Moving on, I tried 3.01-18 with VcXsrv 1.9.4.1 for a few hours, mostly
web browsing. I did not have the cursor disappear, but I did have a
couple serious issues. One was when the screen was not redrawn
properly when I dragged a Firefox window around. It seemed random -- I
was working fine for about an hour, but suddenly when I tried dragging
a firefox window, it left trails everywhere, totally munging the
screen. I tried dragging other windows around, and even quitting and
restarting x2go, but nothing seemed to be able to redraw the screen
properly after that. So I started a new session, and that worked for a
while, but then it locked up completely, and I had to kill the
session.

Is any of this behavior known? If not, what can I do to aid in
debugging? With the exception of broken sound (which was repeatable),
the other problems seemed random.