[X2go-dev] EyeOS

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Feb 22 22:42:52 CET 2011

Hello, all.  I'd imagine none of us have the time to investigate this
but I just took a quick look at EyeOS (http://www.eyeos.org).  It is an
open source cloud desktop solution.  Version 2 was very slow and buggy
but version 1 was amazingly fast.  It was entirely acceptable to watch
streaming video in its web browser.  It also seemed to do local
redirection for video- although, as I said, viewing video within the
desktop had both excellent video and sound.

I wonder what they use for a transport mechanism in version 1.  It might
be something we could investigate as an alternative to NX.  It was truly
impressive.  I'd imagine we could also learn how they do the redirect
detection.  X2Go is still the product for us as we need the flexibility
of running any application, not just those written to run on EyeOS but
we might be able to learn quite a bit from their work - John