[X2go-dev] Use case for an x2go user-group

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat Feb 19 11:04:48 CET 2011

Hi Alexander,

On Fr 18 Feb 2011 20:14:19 CET Alexander Wuerstlein wrote:

> Yes, but in large setups, groups become very hard to manage. Large
> groups with thousands of users tend to be an administration burden, also
> a large number of additional groups for each user tends to be
> problematic with many operating systems or setups (NIS, SQL, older
> unices, etc).

???? How do you get to this conclusion. My experience is totally on
the opposite side... Groups help to organize functionality of a system
in a sensible way. I always bind functionality to a group and then add
users to these groups. Such a pity, that posix does not offer a role
model, as well. This would make user und functionality management more
elegant even. This paragraph above makes me a little confused...

> Yes, it does on small scales. And our approach wouldn't make the
> 'x2gousers' group go away if you still want to use it: You can simply
> make the x2gowrapper executable only for that group and not for others.
> Then you have exactly the same functionality as with 'sudo', but without
> the hassle of setting up the sudo configuration (wich does never seem to
> work automatically on installation). That would also be the suggested
> migration path i guess. Additionally you can of course use database
> black/whitelists, or you can set x2gowrapper o+rx and only use database
> black/whitelists. In that sense our approach would also be far more
> flexible than the current sudo approach.

You are not really suggesting that an X2go site administrator should
customize/tweak permissions on X2go /usr/bin files. This is really
dirty stuff and not an option to me...

Greets,

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B